Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fifth step (Read 4491 times)
runndog
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fifth step
May 22nd, 2007 at 11:23am

My sponsee says has done things in his past that if he repeats them could land him in jail.  He does not know who to trust to share his fifth step with.   He wants to relieve himself of the pain.  He is not sure if he can even trust a priest.

IP Logged

Ed_C.
YaBB Administrator

Keeping It Real!!!!

Re: fifth step
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2007 at 3:10am

Hello runndog,

I know that a priest has given a vow of silence to what he hears in confession. A lot of people have done things that may land them in jail. One has to live up to their past to get on with the now. Maybe he could trust you to hear what he has to say and between you two there can be a determination if it really is all that bad. It seems to me that this thing has to be absolutely an honest and thorough attempt at finding the exact nature of one's wrongs. It seems to me when all of it is laid out on the table that things don't seem that bad. If they are, then maybe it is time to fess up to what has been and serve whatever consequences there are. That is what honesty is all about!!! Good Luck, Ed C.

IP Logged

hemphillaaronm
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 3:15pm

Well I was fortunate enough to have nothing criminal in my 5th step, but I have heard of people with some really bad shit in there. One thing I've heard suggested was to retain a lawyer. In a city of any size you should be able to find at least one lawyer in your recovery community that would do so for a minimal fee. Then he's bound not just by a religious code of silence but by law. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

IP Logged

the big guy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Being Sober!

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 5:52pm

Disclosing illeagal acts in recovery is never easy .
word of caution ....the new laws on disclosure in the clergy do not afford a safe haven in the church any longer,you may want to find someone in recovery who has had similar genuine not theroretical expirence in this area your freedom may depend on it
the book is clear on this (AA)book that is amends are done when people are not put in a position to be hurt further (including you)so there are some conciderations to be looked at how did your issue affect any other people can you make a form of restitution to society anonymously without putting yourself in harms way...these things are tough but if your honest and want to get over your drinking (or whatever you did )....then your answers will come through sticking around the progam and doing what you have to day by day .....easy does it ...eh...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print